The leadership development programmes reflect the Welsh Government’s vision for leadership development at all levels of a school. The sessions have the core purpose of developing skills and understanding based on the relevant leadership standards for current and future roles.
There are five separate modules over three separate days. The modules begin in the early years of a teacher’s career and seek to provide a ‘continuum of provision for a continuum of need’. Therefore teachers in consultatiobn with school managers/headteachers will select the most relevant module for their needs. Some teachers will only undertake one module, whilst others over time, select two or three. An additional element of the programme is the Deputy Head Development Sessions (each 1 day per term). This will enable practising deputies to continue to improve their understanding of their role.
All modules and sessions within, have crucial common features including:
- Explicit references to leadership standards.
- Establishing a morale purpose for underpinning actions.
- Widening personal effectiveness and improving influencing skills with colleagues.
- Direct links to the three educational priorities of the Welsh Government.
- Improving learning and teaching ‘getting to good’ and from ‘good to excellent’.
- Reducing in-school variation.
- Using data effectively.
- Helping teachers become effective evaluators and using this information to devise improvement plans that raise standards.
- Sharing and signposting of relevant educational research.
- Best practices are exemplified from a variety of schools in Wales and the UK with inputs provided from other professionals.
- Accreditation, in terms of ‘cash-in’ MA level credits for completed modules and assignments.
Should staff wish to send staff to a single day, or two of the three, then this can be done.
For all modules – all course materials, including course booklets, are provided electronically free of charge.
Venue for all sessions: Future Inn, Cardiff Bay. Please contact me to book.
Single Day £175, all three days £450 plus VAT * (schools will not play VAT)
Overview of the Modules
Module 1: ‘Beginning to Lead: From Aspirational to Inspirational!’
Focus Group: Those teachers showing early signs of leadership (1-2 years from induction) or keen to develop leadership skills later in their career.
Module 2: ‘Widening Influence’
Focus Group: Those teachers looking to extend influence in the curriculum areas by developing evaluation skills (3-4 years from induction, those seeking TLR posts, UPS teachers and theme subject coordinators.)
Module 3: ‘Influencing and Impacting on a Wider Scale’
Focus Group: Those teachers aspiring to TLR or TLR holders keen to widen their understanding and practices in relation to evaluation and improvement with a key focus on evaluating learner outcomes.
Module 4: ‘Increasing your effectiveness as a Leader’
Focus Group: New Assistant and Deputy Heads who wish to understand and apply the core roles of deputy headship by widening their skills of evaluating teaching outcomes, planning and enacting improvements and improving the performance of others.
Module 5: ‘New to Headship but not Naive!’
Focus Group: New Headteachers keen to develop skills in terms of setting the strategic direction, building effective relationships, improving a school’s performance and enjoying the job!
Module: ‘Increasing Your Effectiveness as a Deputy Head – Termly Updates’
Focus Group: Experienced Assistant and Deputy Heads who wish to widen their understanding of their role in the changing educational context including skills of evaluating teaching outcomes and improving the performance of others.